Thursday, March 24, 2011

Guest Bedroom

So my latest decorating change was our guest bedroom. I originally had this room decorated for my cousin Kayla since she is the only one that ever spends the night with us, but she is growing up quick and I wanted something a little more sophisticated and clean.  My cat, Nipper likes this room and I like to sit in here with him and read.  I wanted Calm.

I was not writing this blog when I started working on this room so I do not have a true before picture but the picture below is before I really changed anything, I had only rearranged the furniture here.


The next two show the changes after I bought new bedding from my favorite store, TJ Maxx. Also, I painted the bed turquoise.



So now that you see the layout here are some photos of the after, closer up.

This pillow was my inspiration for the blue or turquiose additions.


This shelf idea came from Ballard Designs. This was a good spot to add more turquiose in this overall neutral room.


The dresser was a furniture redo from years ago. It is a solid maple dresser and was stained. I stripped and sanded every stitch of stain off and once it was bare I waxed with white shoe polish to get this finish. I wanted a pickled white look and this was a piece of advice given by a professional furniture re-finisher to acheive the look I wanted.


A new lamp


A newly framed print...I found this frame at Hobby Lobby and it is absolute perfect for the picture, $19. The actual framing I had done at Kidd's Framing at the Raleigh Flea market, $40.


My favorite thing in the room is the new curtains. They are exactly what I had in mind, sheer, casual and breezy.


I picked these up at World Market, Crinkle
panels. They were all twisted up in these little bags and when you unroll them they are crimped. Kinda of like those 80's hair styles :)


Also not sure if you noticed, but, I did paint. Very subtle change to a light grey, Sharkey's Grey by Martha Stewart paint. I LOVE this color. And, since my cousin's nickname is Sharkey, it made it that much sweeter.

Linking to:


4 comments:

  1. I love it April! It's such a welcoming and relaxing room! :-) I wish I had your talent for decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like it, I have enjoyed reading in this room a few times now that it's done. The sunlight comes in good in the afternoons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty April. I love reading your blog. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete