There are a ton of “pins” on Pinterest on how to make shade like these. I used a tutorial from Imparting Grace. I felt like her tutorial was the easiest to follow. You can see it HERE. I made a few adjustments and here is how I made it work for me.
DIY No Sew Shades
- Liner Fabric
- No Sew Tape
- Measuring Stick or Tape
- Tension Rods (I used 8 for 2 windows)
- Iron and Ironing Board
Measure your fabric. You want the fabric to be 2 inches wider and 6” longer than the inside of your window. My windows are 26”x 60”, so I cut the fabric to be 28” x 66”. I also lined the shades with muslin fabric and cut that to the exact size of the window.
I used muslin to line my fabric. The tutorial I was using suggest doubling over the fabric. Liner fabric is cheaper so chose to use that.
Hem the edges and bottom with the no sew tape. Lay your tape on the edge and fold over to 1 inch and iron. Follow directions for the tape you purchase.
Place a tension rod at the top and fold fabric over 3 inches, place the no sew tape down and iron the fabric together over the tension rod creating a pocket.
Hang the curtain, then hang your tension rods over the fabric.
Here you want to simply pull the fabric under and over the tension rods to create your “folds” in the fabric.
That's it! Super easy and they look great. Now I have that pop of color and I didn’t spend a lot or invest a lot of time.
- I used Heat n Bond no sew tape for heavy duty fabric, I like this brand a lot!
- I ran out of the tape (I needed 2 rolls for 2 shades) So I finished the last edge with Fabri-Tac
- If you can sew, it will save you even more time
- I had to adjust the folds to make it look like the pattern matched on both windows. I wasn’t paying attention to the pattern as I was cutting and I got lucky it was close, pay attention.
I spent $18 on 4 yards of fabric at Hobby Lobby (used a coupon). $14 on the muslin, $3 for the tape. $3 each for the tension rods at $24 (which I already had). Total of $59.
Hope to be back in the next week or so with the final reveal of this room and the office reveal…I made mini blind roman shades for that room and I can’t wait to show you!!!
Have a great week!