Sunday, November 27, 2011

Decorating Block

Lately I’ve been stumped when if comes to decorating.  I just can’t seem to in vision what I want things to look like.  My creativity is in a vacuum.  However, there are several possible  reasons.
1) I am limited to what I can currently decorate.  Having your house on the market is hard for someone that loves changing things up and decorating for holidays.  I’ve tried very hard to keep things very neat, clean and uncluttered.
2) I am pretty stressed out.  We have TWO houses on the market and with the current market things are slow.  This pretty much sums up most of my STRESS although I could throw in the constant flow of other stressors but that list is too long :)
3) Saving money is pretty important to me right now.  I am trying to stay away from TJ Maxx and HomeGoods as well the flea market.  I don’t want to buy new stuff for the house when we could be moving to a new place soon anyway.
BUT….I am going to blame it on being TOTALLY ADDICTED TO READING BLOGS!!! Don’t get me wrong I am completely inspired by most of what I see by reading my favorite blogs and I am amazed at all the talent and neat things that people think of.  I get a lot of ideas by reading blogs and magazines but I think seeing all the ideas floating around is preventing me from coming up with original ideas of my own.  I noticed this happening when I started decorating for Halloween, my favorite holiday, and I was at a loss on ideas and now I feel the same way with Christmas decor.  Do you guys feel this way too?? 
I  have been working on Christmas decorations this weekend and I finished today. Mainly I stuck to the dining room…a small Christmas tree, new table setting, some ornaments and I will add some fresh greenery and flowers later.  I spray painted some older things to reuse and save money (which was a little creative:).  Overall I  am happy with the results.  It’s not a  lot to get excited about, it’s much less than I normally do but I wanted to keep it simple and I am pretty bored of the Christmas decorations I have and I am not buying new things this year. 
With all that being said I am sorry I have been slow to blog this month…I am low on ideas!  It does make me look forward to moving a little more because I know that will bring a new palette to work from and I will probably purge a lot of things I no longer use. 
I did want to share with you an idea I had for Christmas this year.  I was putting away my Fall stuff and I had a lot of left over pumpkins so I decided to paint them and re-use for Christmas. 
IMG_6347 
The idea was that they would look like ornaments.  I broke out lots of paint colors and glitter.
IMG_6348
IMG_6349
Here is the final result.  I just added them back to the plate they were on for Halloween and put them on fake snow.
IMG_6350
Umm, so they look like painted pumpkins….Project Fail! 
IMG_6356
Not the worst idea I’ve ever had and I think they could be really cute.  Maybe I should have stuck to normal Christmas colors or painted the stems.  Spray paint would have also saved a lot of time but I was glad to have an idea to put into motion. 
I picked the colors that I did because I put them in the kitchen and the only other decor in the kitchen are these letters I painted last year that were a success in my book.
IMG_6358
IMG_6359
I will be sharing my other Christmas decorating later sometime in December. 
Have you started decorating for Christmas?  Do you feel stuck on ideas too and what do you blame it on?

Linked to...
At: www.bowerpowerblog.com


April

No comments:

Post a Comment