I promised to follow-up with you on my dining table. As usual these projects are never as easy as you hope.
Lightly sand and repaint table legs & strip and re-stain the table top
All went according to plan until the second and final coat of stain went on the top. After drying the table looked splotchy and as if it had not dried in some spots. I apologize for the lack of photos as my camera has been hijacked for the weekend.
All signs pointed to re-strip and re-stain = a lot of tedious work.
I found some scrubbing and polishing pads that fit to my mouse sander. They actually came with the sander and I'd never used them because I really didn't know what they were for. I just wanted to try to see if using it on the top like sand paper would take off the shiny UN-dry looking parts. It worked!! After an hour or so of using the sander it was pretty good. I then lightly VERY lightly sanded the top.
So this weekend I applied the clear coat to the entire table. I use Varathan, which is actually floor sealer, this works well on white furniture because it does not yellow the finish. I put 2 coats on the painted parts and 3 coats on the table top. I am very pleased with the results.